Diversity Outreach Coordinator
Earth Day Network Description:
Earth Day Network’s mission is to broaden and diversify the worldwide environmental movement and to mobilize it as the most effective vehicle to build a healthy, sustainable environment, address climate change, and protect the Earth for future generations. Earth Day Network is the world’s largest recruiter to the environmental movement, working with more than 50,000 partners in 196 countries to build environmental democracy. We work through a combination of education, public policy, and consumer campaigns to accomplish our goals.
- Support Earth Day Network’s global network, including support for environmental issues; environmental/social justice and higher education programs.
- Create an outreach plan to activate more diverse participation in Earth Day events.
- In collaboration with program staff, direct outreach to underrepresented communities, including African American and Hispanic populations.
- Coordinate with VoteEarth on voter registration, education and get out the vote efforts.
- In collaboration with program staff, coordinate directly with climate change groups in order to build Earth Day participation.
- Assist in the development and distribution of Earth Day event toolkits for external partners.
- Coordinate interns work to execute outreach plan.
- Contribute to the coordination, resource development, and planning of events and activities.
- Engage in the day-to-day operations of Earth Day Network, including meetings, correspondence and events.
- And additional activities in support of the 50th anniversary campaign.
- Previous experience in public outreach and/or public engagement
- A strong interest in and knowledge of current environmental issues at the domestic and international level
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Campaign experience is a plus
- International background or experience and a second language are a plus
This is a full-time temporary position at Earth Day Network’s Washington, DC, headquarters. This position requires immediate start and concludes December 1, 2020. There may be the possibility of an extension.
Salary and Benefits:
EDN offers competitive salary commensurate with experience and a complete benefits package including paid vacation, sick leave, and retirement.
Send letter of interest, resume, and writing sample to [email protected]
ABOUT THE ROLE:
As the Publicist, Communications, you will work closely with the Chief Creative and Content Officer to elevate our Earth Day Network brand year-round. This includes communicating our priorities and promotions and inspiring current and new audiences to engage with and support Earth Day initiatives.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Help support the development and execution of multi-channel, integrated communications and engagement strategies on behalf of Earth Day Network
- Create, plan and execute tactical communication plans to effectively disseminate messages across channels
- On-going cultivation of press relationships (print, broadcast, traditional, environmental-specific) for EDN as a whole and around particular programs/campaigns and executives
- Managing day to day communications plans and deliverables
- Writing and editing press releases
- Setting up and assisting with staff press interviews
- Writing and editing occasional blog posts
- Draft messages on behalf of executive leadership to create and sustain impactful momentum for EDN initiatives
- Manage relationships with our vendors related to the development and execution of creative media (e.g., infographics, video, etc.)
- Assist with tracking results and gaining feedback to measure the effectiveness of communications
- You are collaborative and a team player
- You are able to take initiative and work independently.
- You are comfortable with a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- You possess a strong service orientation and decision-making skills
- You are able to build and maintain key internal and external stakeholder relationships
- You are able to work well with other internal departments
EDUCATION + EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in Communications, Marketing, Journalism or related major
- 3 or more years of communications planning and execution experience
- Superior communication skills – both written and verbal
- Strong consulting skills and ability to interface with clients
- Comfort managing multiple projects simultaneously with minimal supervision
- Highly professional demeanor and comfortable interacting and corresponding with senior leadership
- Prior experience working at an NGO or non-profit organization
- Experience with digital and visual communication systems including graphic design, photo editing, video, infographics, and more
- Experience with the WordPress platform
- Experience working with third-party vendors
Send a letter of interest, resume, and writing sample to [email protected]
Please put the job title and include your first and last name in subject line.
Earth Day Network 2020 Remote Summer Internship
Want to save the planet? Join the world’s largest environmental movement.
This position will begin remotely, though depending on public health recommendations interns may have the option to work in Earth Day Network’s Washington, D.C. office later this summer.
Earth Day Network is looking for qualified interns with a strong interest in the environment to help fulfill its mission: mobilizing people to protect the Earth for future generations.
Earth Day Network is a nonprofit organization that works with more than 50,000 partners in 196 countries to sustain and support the modern environmental movement. Interns will work closely with EDN’s staff to write blogs, conduct research and coordinate grassroots outreach. Interns will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience in the workforce, bolstering their professional resumes and building connections in the environmental field.
April 22nd marks Earth Day. Earth Day Network interns will be vital in preparing for this event, while working toward solving climate change, ending plastic pollution and protecting endangered species — all while activating the environmental movement across the globe.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Supporting Earth Day Network in our efforts to connect our global network of grassroots organizations, local authorities, educators and youth
- Engaging in the day-to-day operations of Earth Day Network, including meetings, correspondence and events
- Monitoring domestic and international environmental efforts
- Participating in the planning, execution and promotion of year-round campaigns
- Creating blogs and social media posts to be published on our website and social media accounts
- Assisting in the research, evaluation and outreach to prospective and current partners
- Contributing to the coordination, resource development and planning of events, activities and programs
- A strong interest in and knowledge of current US and international environmental issues
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated from an undergraduate or master’s degree program
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Professional demeanor
- Experience with web and multimedia design and/or development is a plus
- Proficiency in a language other than English is strongly preferred
DESIRED PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Respectful, hardworking, results-oriented individual
- Enthusiastic, positive attitude that works well in a team but is also motivated, self-sufficient and can work well independently as needed
- Experience with web and multimedia design and/or development preferred
- Prior campaign experience preferred
- International background or experience, with intermediate to superior-level fluency in French, Spanish, Chinese Mandarin or Arabic preferred
This internship is unpaid. College credit can be awarded if your institution supports it.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must fill out this application and should email a resume and cover letter in a single PDF to our intern coordinator at [email protected] Please fill in the subject line as: 2020Summer_Last Name.
Start Date: June 1st, 2020 End Date: August 20, 2020
*Please note start and end dates are flexible depending on candidate’s semester schedule
Equal Employment Opportunity – Non-Discrimination Policy
EDN is an equal opportunity employer. This means that employment decisions at EDN are based on job-related qualifications and skills. EDN is committed to recruiting and hiring qualified employees without regard to race, ancestry, color, sex, marital status, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, personal appearance, political affiliation, age, religion, national origin, veteran status, citizenship, disability or any other trait protected under applicable local, state or federal law.