EARTHDAY.ORG’s mission is to diversify, educate and activate the environmental movement worldwide. Growing out of the first Earth Day in 1970, EARTHDAY.ORG is the world’s largest recruiter to the environmental movement, working with more than 75,000 partners in over 190 countries to drive positive action for our planet.
All EARTHDAY.ORG staff are responsible for articulating and contributing to an inspired vision for the organization; taking projects from concept to lift-off to completion; learning and adapting from experience; listening and working as a team to generate and implement new ideas; building relationships to bridge differences and find common grounds with people inside and outside of the organization at all levels of society; communicating effective, orally and in writing; and demonstrating exemplary levels of personal integrity and leadership.
The Development Coordinator will report to the Director of Development.
In partnership with the Director of Development, the Development Coordinator will play a critical role in supporting EARTHDAY.ORG’s development efforts. This opportunity is ideal for someone interested in gaining experience in all facets of nonprofit development and truly making an impact in their day-to-day.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Perform prospect research to look for new funding opportunities
- Assist in writing proposals and reports
- Work with the Director of Development on creating an annual development calendar to ensure year-round engagement and stewardship of individual and institutional funders
- Assist Director of Development in developing and implementing appropriate systems to ensure accurate processing and fulfilling of all donations and grants, the accuracy and management of individual and institutional donor records and files, reporting, and prompt donor acknowledgement
- Help Director of Development to develop and implement standard operating policies and procedures for Development
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records in database and other files
- Run reports and analyze data to share with the Director of Development
- Generate and track acknowledgement letters for institutional and individual funders
- Monitor external donation portals to ensure prompt acknowledgement
- Ensure the appropriate follow-up occurs with institutional and individual donors
- Help to develop content for communications with funders
- Help with outreach to institutional and individual donors
- Remain up to date on industry best practices for stewardship and cultivation of institutional and individual funders
- Other duties in support of the environment
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA, BS, etc.) and 1-2 years of relevant experience or 4+ years of experience in lieu of degree
- Prior development experience is preferred
- Experience with CRM databases, especially NationBuilder, a plus
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office software, especially PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- Any graphic design experience a plus
- Passionate about the EARTHDAY.ORG mission
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a commitment to representing EARTHDAY.ORG with enthusiasm, warmth, and professionalism
- Superior tact, discretion, maturity, and judgment in handling highly sensitive, often confidential information
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and to multitask and manage multiple projects and assignments often with competing deadlines
- Able to work well on a team and individually
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent critical thinking, problem solving, organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong editing and proofing skills
- Ability to occasionally work during the weekend or evening
Currently this position is remote, post-pandemic this position would be in the EARTHDAY.ORG Washington, DC office. We welcome applications from qualified candidates located outside of the Washington, DC metro area provided that they will relocate to Washington, DC when we return to the office. Relocation expenses will not be reimbursed.
EARTHDAY.ORG is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EARTHDAY.ORG does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter in a single PDF (please name the document “LastName_Development_Coordinator”) to [email protected] Please use the subject line “Development Coordinator” in your email.
Volunteer Faith Coordinator
EARTHDAY.ORG (EDO) is seeking a qualified volunteer to unite faith communities and inspire their members to take action in recognition of Earth Day 2021.
EDO is a nonprofit organization that works with more than 50,000 partners in 196 countries to strengthen and support the modern environmental movement. Its mission is to unite humanity around the common cause of building a healthier, more sustainable future for the generations that will inherit our planet. The Volunteer Faith Coordinator will be crucial in ensuring that faith-based organizations and communities are represented and supported in this effort.
Ideal candidates will have the following skills:
- A robust network of existing contacts throughout the faith community at large, preferably nationwide
- A focus on ensuring a diverse range of faith organizations are represented, especially including those on the front lines of environmental issues
- Experience organizing grassroots volunteer efforts
- An ability to discuss the connections between humanity and nature through a spiritual lens
- Strong oral and written communication skills and exemplary levels of personal integrity and leadership
Some of your specific duties will include:
- Expand, diversify and support EDO’s global network of faith–based organizations
- Contribute to the coordination, resource development, and planning of events and activities
- Help Earth Day staff create an outreach plan
- Develop in collaboration with EDO staff customizable communications materials for campaign partners/influencers/stakeholders
- Coordinate and work with interns to develop toolkits, web resources and other materials and to execute outreach plan
- Amplify the Earth Day message to online faith communities through social media
- Track metrics of email responses, social media and website traffic
- Additional activities in support of the environment.
This is a volunteer position, with the possibility of a stipend should it become available
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter in a single PDF (please name the document “LastName_Faith Coordinator”) to Evan Raskin, National Campaign Manager, at [email protected]. Please use the subject line “Volunteer Faith Coordinator” in your email.
EARTHDAY.ORG 2021 Summer Remote Internship
Want to save the planet? Join the world’s largest environmental movement.
EARTHDAY.ORG is looking for qualified interns with a strong interest in the environment to help fulfill its mission: mobilizing people to protect the Earth for future generations.
EARTHDAY.ORG is a nonprofit organization that works with more than 50,000 partners in 196 countries to sustain and support the modern environmental movement. Interns will work closely with EDO’s staff to write blogs, conduct research and coordinate grassroots outreach. Interns will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience in the workforce, bolstering their professional resumes and building connections in the environmental field.
April 22nd marks Earth Day each year. EARTHDAY.ORG interns will be vital in preparing for this event, while working toward solving climate change, ending plastic pollution, and protecting endangered species — all while activating the environmental movement across the globe. The COVID-19 pandemic presents new challenges which interns will help to overcome.
Specific Responsibilities May Include:
- Supporting EARTHDAY.ORG in our efforts to connect our global network of grassroots organizations, local authorities, educators and youth
- Engaging in the day-to-day operations of EARTHDAY.ORG, including meetings, correspondence and events
- Monitoring domestic and international environmental efforts
- Participating in the planning, execution and promotion of year-round campaigns
- Creating blogs and social media posts to be published on our website and social media accounts
- Assisting in the research, evaluation and outreach to prospective and current partners
- Contributing to the coordination, resource development and planning of events, activities and programs
- A strong interest in and knowledge of current US and international environmental issues
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated from an undergraduate or master’s degree program
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Professional demeanor
- Experience with web and multimedia design and/or development is a plus
- Proficiency in a language other than English is strongly preferred
Desired Professional Qualities:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Respectful, hardworking, results oriented individual
- Enthusiastic, positive attitude that works well in a team but is also motivated, self-sufficient and can work well independently as needed
- Experience with web and multimedia design and/or development preferred
- Prior campaign experience preferred
- International background or experience, with intermediate to superior-level fluency in French, Spanish, Chinese Mandarin or Arabic preferred
This internship is unpaid. College credit can be awarded if your institution supports it. The position includes optional training in new technologies, career development talks from staff, and assistance from a committed program manager.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter in a single PDF to James Halsey Payne, Internship Program Manager, at [email protected].
Please fill in the subject line as: 2021 Summer — [Last Name].
Start Date*: Late May to early June 2021
End Date*: August 2021
*Please note start and end dates are flexible depending on candidate’s semester schedule.