Diversity Outreach Coordinator
Earth Day Network Description:
Earth Day Network’s mission is to broaden and diversify the worldwide environmental movement and to mobilize it as the most effective vehicle to build a healthy, sustainable environment, address climate change, and protect the Earth for future generations. Earth Day Network is the world’s largest recruiter to the environmental movement, working with more than 50,000 partners in 196 countries to build environmental democracy. We work through a combination of education, public policy, and consumer campaigns to accomplish our goals.
- Support Earth Day Network’s global network, including support for environmental issues; environmental/social justice and higher education programs.
- Create an outreach plan to activate more diverse participation in Earth Day events.
- In collaboration with program staff, direct outreach to underrepresented communities, including African American and Hispanic populations.
- Coordinate with VoteEarth on voter registration, education and get out the vote efforts.
- In collaboration with program staff, coordinate directly with climate change groups in order to build Earth Day participation.
- Assist in the development and distribution of Earth Day event toolkits for external partners.
- Coordinate interns work to execute outreach plan.
- Contribute to the coordination, resource development, and planning of events and activities.
- Engage in the day-to-day operations of Earth Day Network, including meetings, correspondence and events.
- And additional activities in support of the 50th anniversary campaign.
- Previous experience in public outreach and/or public engagement
- A strong interest in and knowledge of current environmental issues at the domestic and international level
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Campaign experience is a plus
- International background or experience and a second language are a plus
This is a full-time temporary position at Earth Day Network’s Washington, DC, headquarters. This position requires immediate start and concludes December 1, 2020. There may be the possibility of an extension.
Salary and Benefits:
EDN offers competitive salary commensurate with experience and a complete benefits package including paid vacation, sick leave, and retirement.
Send letter of interest, resume, and writing sample to [email protected]
Vote Earth Organizer Internship
Accepting applicants enrolled in a university in NC, PA, FL, AZ, MI, or WI
The time has never been better — or more urgent — to put human and ecological health at the top of the political agenda. It’s time to put the health of our communities, our air, our water and our land on the ballot — it’s time to #VoteEarth. We have six months to make sure the 2020 General Election marks a turning point for the better, to ensure a more equitable future for both people and our environment. College students represent both critical voting demographics and central players in the environmental movement. Earth Day Network is looking for qualified candidates to organize local Vote Earth campaigns on college campuses in key states across the country: NC, PA, FL, AZ, MI, and WI.
What does it mean to #VoteEarth? This election day, we need students to vote in solidarity with the one and only home that we all share, to ensure that all have equitable access to the resources and healthy environments that are necessary for survival. Your civic duty has never been more important.
Positions Details: Vote Earth Organizers will work on campuses (in-person or virtually) across the U.S. to mobilize young and first-time voters to #VoteEarth in the 2020 General Election. Ideally, each campus will have up to 2 interns working jointly to get as many students as possible to: 1) register to vote and 2) commit to #VoteEarth. Vote Earth Organizers will receive comprehensive training on organizing successful voter registration campaigns on campuses, and resources to expand their outreach capacity. Finally, #VoteEarth is meant to be a unifying force among many interest groups, so Vote Earth Organizers will be responsible for coordinating collaboration amongst student groups across campus, ranging from environmental to civic to faith.
Timeline: While details of this position are not yet finalized, the program is intended to include light training and basic preparatory work throughout July and August–with most of the time commitment occurring once fall classes resume.
- Estimated hours per week: 5-15 varying by week
- Attend a handful of training sessions in the summer
- Work directly under managers from MobilizeU, Earth Day Network’s higher education outreach campaign
- Join weekly meetings with MobilizeU staff for continued trainings and check-ins throughout September and October
- Complete extensive outreach and engagement work every week via in-person tabling/flyering (if feasible), social media, emails, phone calls, texting, etc.
- Be effective campaigner whether or not classes are held in-person for the fall semester
- Contribute creativity and innovative ideas
- Enrolled in a university in one of the following states: NC, PA, FL, AZ, MI, WI
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- High energy and passion for protecting the planet, people, and social justice
- Experience with social media and outreach is preferred, but not required
- Valuable resume and leadership experience in campaign organizing. Involvement in the 2020 election will prove influential for a future career in advocacy and/or politics.
- Paid stipend and/or internship credit may become available, to be determined shortly
- A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to help shape the direction of American history
Application Details: All applications are due by August 15 or until positions are filled; students will be accepted on a rolling basis. To apply, fill out this form and email a resume to [email protected] with the subject line “Vote Earth_LAST NAME”.
Earth Day Network 2020 Fall Remote Internship
Want to save the planet? Join the world’s largest environmental movement.
Earth Day Network is looking for qualified interns with a strong interest in the environment to help fulfill its mission: mobilizing people to protect the Earth for future generations.
Earth Day Network is a nonprofit organization that works with more than 50,000 partners in 196 countries to sustain and support the modern environmental movement. Interns will work closely with EDN’s staff to write blogs, conduct research and coordinate grassroots outreach. Interns will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience in the workforce, bolstering their professional resumes and building connections in the environmental field.
April 22nd marks Earth Day each year. Earth Day Network interns will be vital in preparing for this event, while working toward solving climate change, ending plastic pollution and protecting endangered species — all while activating the environmental movement across the globe. The COVID-19 pandemic presents new challenges which interns will help to overcome.
Specific Responsibilities May Include:
- Supporting Earth Day Network in our efforts to connect our global network of grassroots organizations, local authorities, educators and youth
- Engaging in the day-to-day operations of Earth Day Network, including meetings, correspondence and events
- Monitoring domestic and international environmental efforts
- Participating in the planning, execution and promotion of year-round campaigns
- Creating blogs and social media posts to be published on our website and social media accounts
- Assisting in the research, evaluation and outreach to prospective and current partners
- Contributing to the coordination, resource development and planning of events, activities and programs
- A strong interest in and knowledge of current US and international environmental issues
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated from an undergraduate or master’s degree program
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Professional demeanor
- Experience with web and multimedia design and/or development is a plus
- Proficiency in a language other than English is strongly preferred
Desired Professional Qualities:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Respectful, hardworking, results oriented individual
- Enthusiastic, positive attitude that works well in a team but is also motivated, self-sufficient and can work well independently as needed
- Experience with web and multimedia design and/or development preferred
- Prior campaign experience preferred
- International background or experience, with intermediate to superior-level fluency in French, Spanish, Chinese Mandarin or Arabic preferred
This internship is unpaid. College credit can be awarded if your institution supports it. The position includes optional training in new technologies, career development talks from staff, and assistance from a committed program manager.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must fill out this application and should email a resume and cover letter in a single PDF to James Halsey Payne, Internship Program Manager, at [email protected]. Please fill in the subject line as: 2020 Fall — [Last Name].
Start Date*: August 31st, 2020
End Date*: December 18th, 2020
*Please note start and end dates are flexible depending on candidate’s semester schedule