From poisoning and injuring marine life to disrupting human hormones, from littering our beaches and landscapes to clogging our waste streams and landfills, the exponential growth of plastics is now threatening the survival of our planet.
In response, Earth Day 2018 will focus on fundamentally changing human attitude and behavior about plastics and catalyzing a significant reduction in plastic pollution.
Our strategy to End Plastic Pollution will:
- Lead and support the adoption of a global framework to regulate plastic pollution
- Engage corporations to become trailblazers in the reduction of plastic pollution
- Educate and mobilize citizens across the globe to demand action from governments and corporations to control and diminish plastic pollution
- Activate citizen to take personal responsibility for the plastic pollution that each one of us generates by choosing to reject, reduce, reuse and recycle plastics
- Promote the work that cities and local governments are doing to tackle plastic pollution
- Empower journalists across the globe to report on the problem and its emerging solutions.
Earth Day Network will leverage the platform of Earth Day, April 22, 2018 and the growing excitement around the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day in 2020. We will work with key constituencies and influencers to build a world of educated consumers of all ages who understand the environmental, climate and health consequences of using plastic.
We will engage and activate our global network of NGO’s and grassroots organizations, campus youth, mayors and other local elected leaders, faith leaders, artists and athletes, and primary and secondary students and teachers.
We will organize events in all continents of the world, build a global following and activate citizens to join our plastic pollution advocacy campaigns. We will influence major producers, retailers and distributors of plastics to announce major commitments related to mitigating their responsibility in the production of plastic pollution
In sum, we will use the power of Earth Day to elevate the issue of plastic pollution in the global agenda and inspire and demand effective action to reduce and control it.
Please join us. Stop using disposable plastics now
Send your ideas and proposed partnerships to email@example.com
Join the movement
Spread the Word