SUPPORT THE BREAK FREE FROM PLASTIC POLLUTION ACT
Plastic pollution is everywhere, from ocean floors to mountain tops and even inside our bodies. The entire lifecycle of plastic, from production to disposal, contributes to ocean and community pollution and climate change.
The United States is one of the top contributors of plastic waste globally but we have a chance to turn the tide with new legislation. The Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act (H.R. 2238 and S. 984) will tackle the exploding crisis of plastic pollution and transform waste and recycling management in the country.
Some highlights of the legislation include:
- Phasing out single-use plastics that aren’t recyclable
- Creating a nationwide beverage container refund program
- Prohibiting the export of plastic waste to developing countries
- Pausing construction of any new plastic-making plants
- Holding manufacturers and producers accountable for waste management and recycling
Act now and message your member of Congress and ask them to pass the Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act.
For too long we’ve allowed the crisis that is plastic pollution and the industry that supports it to harm our waterways, our wildlife and our neighborhoods.
EARTHDAY.ORG’s WORK ON PLASTICS
End Plastic Pollution
Plastic pollution impacts human and ecosystem health and everyday actions can lessen the problem.
Join The Great Global Cleanup
Join the Great Global Cleanup®, EARTHDAY.ORG’s year-round volunteer event. Find a cleanup near you, host…