Faith & The Environment
A Message to Faith Leaders & People of Faith
Since the first Earth Day in 1970, incredible environmental goals have been achieved, thanks largely to efforts by people of faith. The global faith community is a critical voice in overcoming obstacles and integrating environmental issues into political, social and economic agendas.
The theme for Earth Day 2021 is Restore Our Earth, which focuses on natural processes and emerging green technologies that can restore harmony with the world’s ecosystems. Join Earth Day 2021 and help us Restore Our Earth, not just because we care about the natural world, but because we are a part of it as well.
Below are EARTHDAY.ORG’s Restore Our Earth campaigns, as well as resources linking environmental stewardship and faith. We always strive to update and improve our resources. If you know of environmental or faith-based resources, email us at [email protected].
- Submit a short video prayer. The videos will form part of our Earth Day Live social media event or as part of supportive social media leading up to Earth Day 2021. Click HERE to submit all videos
- Register your events on our Earth Day 2021 map. Host Earth Day events, submit a prayer video, virtual forums, cleanups, tree plantings, both in person and online following CDC guidelines, to identify and find solutions to critical environmental issues.
- Include climate literacy and education in your faith resources for people in and outside your institution.
- Encourage leaders within your faith to incorporate environmental themes using our Restore Our Earth Toolkit into worship in April 2021.
- Encourage members of your faith — especially students, people of color and people from low-income communities — to participate in leading Earth Day events and action planning.
- Partner with other faith-based environmental organizations to address environmental challenges.
- Design and execute a communications campaign that incorporates the themes of Earth Day 2021, helping build a narrative that protects the planet, our species and ourselves.
- Engage your staff to participate in Earth Day events (including public education and outreach campaigns beforehand) and provide opportunities for them and their families to volunteer at or participate in Earth Day events in their community.
- Form or join a local Earth Day 2021 committee to organize a major march or festival on Earth Day.
- Get a group together to read and discuss the novel Faith for Earth: A Call for Action
Resources for Communities of Faith
Catholic Environmental Resources
- Laudato Si’: On Care for Our Common Home Discussion Guide
- All Creation Gives God Praise: Protecting Biodiversity in a Time of Climate Crisis
- Beyond a Throwaway Culture: Reduce Waste-Grow Community
- Ladato Si’ Animation for Children| CAFOD
- Earth Day at 50/Laudato Si’ at 5: An Urgent Appeal for Action (2020)
- All Creation Gives God Praise: 2019 Earth Day Program
- All Creation Gives God Praise: An Earth Day Webinar
Sikh Environmental Resources
Other EARTHDAY.ORG Resources
Interested in other ways to be environmentally friendly? Refer to the following resources to keep the spirit of Earth Day alive all throughout the year.
Earth Day Restore Our Earth™ Campaigns
Climate & Environmental Literacy
We increase awareness and build environmental and climate literacy in students around the world.
Foodprints for the Future
Animal agriculture is one of the largest contributors to climate change.
Global Earth Challenge™
Global Earth Challenge will help fulfill our goal of engaging millions of global citizens.