SIEMENS JOINS FORCES WITH EARTH DAY NETWORK IN HONOR OF THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF EARTH DAY
May 6, 2010
Siemens Joins Forces with Earth Day Network in honor of the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day
Partnership encourages commitment to sustainability practices within Siemens
New York, April 6, 2010 – Siemens Corporation, the U.S. arm of global conglomerate Siemens AG, and Earth Day Network, a global organization focused on broadening and diversifying the environmental movement, announced a U.S. partnership in honor of the 40th anniversary of Earth Day on April 22, 2010. Siemens and Earth Day Network will work together to motivate communities across the country through grassroots activities surrounding Earth Day.
In order to assist with Earth Day Network’s Billion Acts of Green® campaign, Siemens will encourage its more than 60,000 U.S. employees, as well as customers and partners, to commit to a more sustainable lifestyle. Siemens will also showcase its sustainable innovations and technologies at two flagship events, Earth Day on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. from April 17– 25, 2010 and “The City in 2050: Creating Blueprints for Change” at Grand Central Terminal in New York City from April 19– 24, 2010. A full list of events and efforts can be found on the Earth Day Network website atarchiveedn.wpengine.com.
“We are thrilled to be partnering with Siemens,” said Kathleen Rogers, President of Earth Day Network. “They have had a long-standing commitment to sustainability, and we are pleased that they are supporting our Earth Day program and joining with us to observe this historic milestone,” she explained.
“Even though Siemens has seen much momentum and growth in sustainability in the marketplace, there still needs to be broader public acceptance and accountability,” said Eric Spiegel, CEO of Siemens Corporation. “We see this partnership with Earth Day Network as a perfect opportunity to remind the general public how just making simple changes in our daily lives can make a huge difference.”
Siemens and Earth Day Network are encouraging several easy and straightforward “Acts of Green” to promote efficiency at home and in the workplace. These include:
- Conserve Paper –Designating days to green goals such as “Print Free Day” and use digital storage solutions instead of filling filing cabinets.
- Conserve Water – Use a low-flow showerhead. The less water you use, the less energy is needed to heat the water.
- Replace Your Lights – Replacement of incandescent light bulbs for CFLs or LEDs to increase savings. This simple act can reduce carbon footprints by 450 pounds a year.
- Recycle – Make sure all employees have access to recycling bins. The three Rs (reduce, reuse and recycle) are words to live by.
- Cut out Excess Waste –Choosing tap water over bottled water to eliminate waste.
- Car pool –Car pool, use public transportation or drive a fuel efficient car. For every mile not driven, carbon footprint can be reduced by one pound.
- Plant a tree –It’s an effective way to reduce greenhouse gases.
About Earth Day Network
Earth Day Network was founded on the premise that all people, regardless of race, gender, income, or geography, have a moral right to a healthy, sustainable environment. Their mission is to broaden and diversify the environmental movement worldwide, and to mobilize it as the most effective vehicle for promoting a healthy, sustainable environment. They pursue our mission through a combination of education, public policy, and consumer activism campaigns. Earth Day Network campaign and programs are predicated on the belief that an educated, energized population will take action to secure a healthy future for itself and its children. Earth Day Network has a global reach with a network of more than 20,000 partners and organizations in 190 countries. Earth Day Network is a 501(c)3 organization located in Washington, D.C.