Follow Our Cleanup Checklist
The Great Global Cleanup® is EARTHDAY.ORG’S flagship volunteer program to remove litter from our lands and waterways. Together with partners around the world, the campaign mobilizes millions of volunteers and coordinates tens of thousands of cleanups.
Plogging and TrashTag are ways of doing individual cleanups. #Plogging entails jogging and quickly stopping to pick up trash while you go.
#Trashtag is a social media trend — take “before and after” pictures of the area you cleaned up and post them!
CLEANUPS ARE EASY AND ENGAGING!
- Define a purpose and designate an area you want to cleanup.
- Gather a team and set a cleanup date/time. Closer to the date check the weather and plan to dress appropriately. Wear something you don’t mind getting dirty!
- Advertise your cleanup to your organization, family, friends, and community members.
- Gather supplies including trash grabbers, bags, gloves, hand sanitizer, first aid kit, and a location to throw out your waste.
- Find a location to dispose of all the waste you will clean up! Sort the waste into trash, recyclables, and hazardous waste. If you are unsure of where to dispose of any of this waste contact your local municipality’s waste department for further instruction.
- Go cleanup and have fun!
- Take pictures during your cleanup and post them on social media after tagging Earth Day and our partners @EarthDay (or @EarthDayNetwork on Facebook) with the hashtag #GreatGlobalCleanup, #TrashTag, or #Plogging. We love to feature our volunteers!