Director, Media Relations & Brand Management Job Description
Position Type: Full Time
Compensation: $110,000-130,000 depending on experience and location
Qualifications and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Build positive, proactive storytelling campaigns that demonstrate EARTHDAY.ORG’s positive impact on the environmental movement.
- Identify key positioning and press opportunities to advance EARTHDAY.ORG’s campaign objectives.
- Oversee global media communications, including developing and maintaining relationships with key partners and senior press members.
- Expand EARTHDAY.ORG‘s reach internationally across the environmental sector, including cultivating and maintaining meaningful relationships with members of the media and policy influencers.
- Create positive conditions for growth by building on the company purpose and driving positive reputation through inspiring and engaging PR.
- Drive positive reputation through a steady drumbeat of media and influencer coverage, while aligning with owned channels. The role will ensure the right balance between digital and traditional media.
- Manage marketing and promotional campaigns across all channels and assess the performance of these campaigns. Design and develop marketing plans, oversee “customer” research activities, and monitor all public relations and promotional activities.
- Create and maintain organizational systems and tools to better share information internally and communicate our core messages with our key stakeholders in a timely manner.
- Deploy rapid response plans when necessary to counter negative narratives and set the record straight.
- Support sponsorship and partnership communications objectives.
- Maintain an editorial calendar to prepare for and promote activities across the organization.
- Provide strategic guidance around the organization’s marquee events, e.g. Earth Day and the Climate Leadership Gala, as well as internal communications.
- At least 10 years of related experience in nonprofit communications with a focus on press and media relations.
- Candidate MUST have a proven rolodex and established relationships with contacts at prestigious and reputable media outlets.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to collaborate well in a fast-moving environment.
- Candidate must be a team player, hard working, possess a positive attitude, and ability to pay attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to develop effective international, national and local media strategies for complex issue areas, including but not limited to environmental issues related to EARTHDAY.ORG’s program/campaign initiatives.
- Experience with content campaigns, media coverage amplification, measuring the ROI of media coverage.
- Advanced project management skills, and vendor management and crisis communications experience.
- Strong attention to detail, with ability to prioritize and meet deadlines. A self-starting, energetic and innovative problem-solver with excellent interpersonal skills, patience and perseverance.
- Ability to travel, including occasional overnight stays.
Location: The position may be remote or work out of our Washington D.C. (hybrid).
The position reports to the Chief Creative & Content Officer of EARTHDAY.ORG, and advises and supports the needs of the senior leadership team.
To apply: Please send your letter of interest and resume in pdf format with subject line: “Application for Director, Media Relations & Brand Management Position” to [email protected]. This position is open until filled. EARTHDAY.ORG is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse pool of candidates in this search.