End Plastic Pollution
Take action: We’re fighting plastic pollution
July 12, 2021
While for years we’ve been taught the importance of doing our share as individuals to reduce, reuse and recycle, our efforts haven’t come close to solving the plastic pollution crisis. There has to be another piece to the puzzle.
A recent study shows that just 20 companies are responsible for more than half of the single-use plastics thrown away globally, with ExxonMobil topping the list. Retailers also play an enormous role when it comes to plastic waste: Supermarkets offer huge amounts of throw-away plastic in the form of product packaging, plastic bags or cups and straws.
It’s time to hold manufacturers and retailers accountable and demand they join the fight against plastic pollution.
This Plastic Free July, we’re bringing you the opportunity to make a difference. Send a message to your Member of Congress asking them to support the Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act.
The Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act will tackle the escalating crisis of plastic pollution and transform waste and recycling management in the U.S.
- Phasing out single-use plastics that aren’t recyclable
- Creating a nationwide beverage container refund program
- Prohibiting the export of plastic waste to developing countries
- Pausing construction of any new plastic-making plants
- Holding manufacturers and producers accountable for waste management and recycling
It’s time to add the burden of cleaning up onto the companies responsible — and not just leaving consumers to shoulder the load.