TOOLKIT: HOW TO CREATE A CAPSULE COLLECTION
In the age of fast fashion, it can be challenging to not indulge in the latest trends and season-to-season pieces. Despite having a closet full of the latest tops, skirts, shoes, and blouses, we have all found ourselves in the predicament, of “I have nothing to wear!” as we stand in frustration and contemplate not even leaving the house. However, what if we were to change our approach to shopping altogether and take back the power the fast fashion industry has had on our wardrobe?
Approaching shopping with a capsule wardrobe can give you the power to steer away from impulsively buying new trendy pieces and ensures that each item in your closet becomes a core part of your outfits. The idea behind this approach is that each piece should be something you love and to avoid the distress of not having anything to wear because yesterday’s trendy clothes don’t match today’s.
What is a Capsule Wardrobe?
By definition, a capsule wardrobe is a limited selection of interchangeable clothing pieces that not only complement each other but allows you to create a wide variety of outfits with just a small selection of items. Creating a capsule wardrobe can save you time, money, stress and will ultimately help you become more sustainable.
Where do I Start?
Building a capsule wardrobe may seem like a daunting task but it can ultimately help you present yourself with a selection of well-curated outfits that include classic pieces that have been bought with intention.
Begin by completing a wardrobe audit of all your current pieces and note any items that you regularly wear and items you have not touched in ages. It’s important to consider your lifestyle and daily activities to help you gain a better understanding of your style, favorite materials, and fits.
Next, try not to fixate on a certain number of items to keep in your capsule wardrobe. It’s encouraged to create your capsule wardrobe using a combination of items you already own, as well as a few new quality items that will last you for years to come. Start out with a basic color (black, grey), add some neutral pieces that work with everything, look for some accent colors that suit your own coloring and try to incorporate some patterns. Some good basic clothing pieces you may consider having in your capsule wardrobe are neutral-colored t-shirts, a pair of black pants, one or two pairs of jeans, a cardigan for layering, and a black dress that can be easily dressed up or dressed down. Ultimately, a 30-piece wardrobe should provide you with a diverse selection of outfits for many occasions.
Below are a few questions to consider when building your capsule wardrobe:
- How many outfits can I create with this piece?
- Can I combine this piece with at least 3 other items in my capsule?
- Does it fit well and feel right?
- Does this fit with my lifestyle?
What Could a Versatile Capsule Wardrobe Consist Of?
A capsule collection should give you the ability to swing from day to eveningwear and from casual to dressy. Here’s a suggestion for a 30-piece capsule wardrobe:
- Several basic tees or tops in neutral tones – long and short sleeve
- Several basic tees or tops in accent colors – long and short sleeve
- Two tank tops: one dressy, one for layering
- Several blouses: in a rich fabric for dressy occasions and sturdier casual materials that can be worn with jeans or shorts
- Several sweaters: one should be a cardigan
- Dressy separates: one skirt and one pair of pants
- Slacks and jeans: two pairs of jeans and a pair of slacks
- Dresses: one for everyday wear, and a black dress that can be dressed up or down
- Jackets: a jean jacket, a blazer and one other versatile jacket
- Coats: A well-made trench coat or other warm coat
- Shoes: sandals, high heels, flats, boots, walking shoes and sneakers
Accessories go a long way to changing an outfit. Choose jewelry, bags, hats and scarves that complement your capsule wardrobe. And remember, the capsule collection can be swapped from season to season and will always look good.
Good hunting for the perfect collection!