Global Education Campaign Director
Type of position: Full time
Compensation: $85,000 to $100,000
The Global Education Campaign Director will lead all domestic and international initiatives to advance global climate and environmental literacy, including promoting EARTHDAY.ORG’s (EDO) leadership and expertise in the field, advancing global and national policy and commitments on climate and environmental literacy, and connecting climate and environmental literacy to civic engagement. You will collaborate with senior management to set metric driven goals and build a roadmap for the campaign and program initiatives. You will be responsible for achieving strategic global and country specific partnerships, relationships with international and country organizations, national and local government entities, and grassroots movement building.
In addition, you will oversee the Education Department staff and interns to continue the stellar reputation and resources including annual toolkits, the Earth Day Schools network, regular communications to the educator network through Newsbites, and other education related initiatives across the organization.
Principle duties will include the following:
- Establishing the Climate and Environmental Literacy campaign strategic vision, measurable goals and roadmap with EDO senior staff.
- Executing campaign programs and building strategic coalitions with key local, national and international stakeholders and partners.
- Ensuring EDO is a domestic and international leader in climate education policy work by developing and spearheading a domestic and international climate literacy policy agenda and specific policy initiatives, participating in calls to action and responding to requests for input at the UN (and other equivalent organizations) level.
- Fundraising for education campaigns and initiatives, including research and writing of proposals, meeting with donors, and preparing reports.
- Serving as a spokesperson and advocate for global climate and environmental literacy at conferences, events and webinars.
- Writing and editing articles, blogs, and other communications for traditional and social media.
- Managing staff to develop and provide high-quality climate and environmental education resources, curricula, and programming for global audiences for both K-12 and Higher Education.
- Developing and managing staff to execute Earth Day campaign for teachers and students.
- Ensuring that all EDO education programs address justice, diversity, equity and inclusion efforts for all students in the US and around the globe.
- Collaborating with EDO program and regional staff to ensure all campaigns have a dynamic and appropriate climate and environmental education component.
- Ensuring EDO is a leader in climate and environmental education policy work, spearheading international initiatives and participating in international calls to action and requests for input at the UN (and other equivalent organizations) level.
- Required to travel as necessary and approved by EDO President.
- Additional activities that will contribute to improving the environment.
- A commitment to the mission of the EDO.
- At least five years of experience as a director or lead on advocacy or legislative campaign.
- Ideally some previous experience in environmental education or an advanced degree in environmental education or related studies.
- Experience managing staff.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, editing, and telephone communication.
- Ability to work independently, managing a variety of projects and tasks effectively, with minimal oversight, in a remote environment.
- Ability to represent EDO with diverse partners and funders in a clear and professional manner through excellent written and oral communication skills, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to build relationships by communicating the EDO mission and discussing EDO programs and projects with professionalism, enthusiasm, passion, candor, and nuance.
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Both resilience and a sense of humor.
EDO offers a complete benefits package including: paid vacation, sick leave, and retirement. Long hours possible (especially around Earth Day and other special events); some travel required. Position is based in our DC office.
Send a letter of interest, and resume to Linda Moore, Director of Operations, at [email protected], with the email’s subject line being ‘GlobalEdDirector_LastName’.
EARTHDAY.ORG is an Equal Opportunity Employer