Associate Director, Education Campaign
Type of position: Full time
Compensation Range: $70,000 to $79,000
EARTHDAY.ORG (EDO) seeks a dynamic and energetic individual to handle a range of environmental education and green school campaigns as Associate Director, Education Campaign.
Principle duties will include the following:
- Growing a nationwide movement to increase climate literacy tied to civic skill building, jobs/innovation/entrepreneurship, and equity in K-12 schools, universities, trade schools and graduate schools.
- Supporting the work of the global director to promote climate literacy.
- Working to promote Earth Day participation, activism, and education in all levels of education with a focus on K-12 schools.
- Creating and working in education coalitions to further climate literacy and civic skills.
- Curating, creating, and providing access to quality educational resources and materials for teachers to promote environmental and climate education in and out of the classroom.
- Building a sustained education, advocacy and media campaign on green schools, the national school lunch program, climate education, and student advocacy initiatives.
- Establishing and supporting partnerships with local and national organizations, schools, teachers, students and other educational and environmental partners around other Earth Day campaigns.
- Maintaining a digital and online presence, including creation of online and web-based education materials, creating and updating webpage content, building digital media and communicating and expanding EDO’s Educators’ Network.
- Collaborate with Education Department and other staff to manage incoming requests for book/article contributions, curriculum creation, media relations, etc. as needed.
- Supporting departmental and organizational commitments with various projects as assigned, such as Earth Day.
- Working to create and pass national, state, and local public policies to provide funding mechanisms for green schools and ensuring comprehensive climate and environmental education.
- Recruiting, hiring, administrating, and managing other staff and Interns.
- Assisting the Development Department in the execution of fundraising opportunities, including research and writing, specific to education-related programming.
- Representing EDO and the Education Department at events, conferences, panels, etc.
- Maintaining EDO’s flagship programs, including National Civic Education Project (NCEP), a program engages urban students in civic-minded lessons in environmentally degraded areas, Climate Education Week, National School Lunch Week, Earth Day, school facility greenings, and more.
The Associate Director will be heavily involved in several or all these initiatives and will likely include travel to events or projects throughout the year, especially on or around Earth Day.
- A commitment to the mission of the EDO.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred.
- A strong interest in and knowledge of current environmental issues.
- A strong interest in and knowledge of K-12 education (environmental, civics, STEM, and/or education itself, in addition to lesson planning experience) is required; teaching certification and classroom experience is preferred.
- A strong interest in and knowledge of non-formal and experiential education is preferred.
- Project management experience is required; event planning experience is preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to perform multiple tasks in adherence to strict deadlines.
- Excellent research and communication skills (verbal and written).
- Technological experience with strong computer skills in education technology, digital media, and web development
- Experience as a team player and leader, with outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to travel within the U.S.
- Both resilience and a sense of humor.
EDO offers a complete benefits package including: paid vacation, sick leave, and retirement. Long hours possible (especially around Earth Day and other special events); some travel required. Position is based in our DC office.
Send a letter of interest, and resume to Linda Moore, Director of Operations, at [email protected], with the email’s subject line being ‘AssociateDirectorEd_LastName’.
EARTHDAY.ORG is an Equal Opportunity Employer