2018 Spring Internship
Earth Day Network’s mission is to broaden and diversify the worldwide environmental movement and to mobilize it as the most effective vehicle to build a healthy, sustainable environment, address climate change, and protect the Earth for future generations. Earth Day Network is the world’s largest recruiter to the environmental movement, working with more than 50,000 partners in 196 countries to build environmental democracy. We work through a combination of education, public policy, and consumer campaigns to accomplish our goals.
Earth Day Network is looking for qualified candidates with strong interest and knowledge in the current environmental issues to play a vital role in the planning and implementation of Earth Day 2018 and Earth Day 2020. Interns will work closely with EDN’s staff to gain experience by attending meetings and briefings, writing blogs, performing research and grassroots outreach, etc. EDN’s Internship Program goal is for the intern to have an intense and high-quality learning experience in a nonprofit environment which will increase their knowledge and experience in the environmental field, bolster their professional resume, and benefit from being a dedicated member of the EDN team.
We are currently looking for several types of interns to join our team:
- Earth Day Interns
- Communication Interns
- Website Development and IT Intern
- Operation Interns
Earth Day Internship
- Supporting Earth Day Network’s global network of grass-roots organizations, local authorities, educators, and youth.
- Coordinating outreach to members of our network and new constituents.
- Assisting in the research, evaluation, and outreach to prospective partners.
- Monitoring domestic and international environmental efforts.
- Contributing to the coordination, resource development, and planning of events and activities.
- Participating in the planning, execution, and promotion of year-round campaigns.
- Engaging in the day-to-day operations of Earth Day Network, including meetings correspondence, and events.
- Creating blogs and social media posts to be published on our website and social media accounts.
- A strong interest in and knowledge of current environmental issues at the domestic and international level.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Professional demeanor.
- Experience with web and multimedia design and/or development is a plus.
- International background or experience and a second language are a plus.
- Developing content and maintaining Earth Day Network’s social media channels
- Researching information and helping write Op Ed’s, press releases and fact sheets
- Creating pitches to journalists
- Writing blogs, Op Ed’s, and press releases
- Monitoring traditional and social media
- Assisting in the day to day operations of the Communications Department
- A strong interest in and/or knowledge of environmental issues
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Respectful, hardworking, results oriented individual
- Enthusiastic, positive attitude that works well in a team
- Experience with web and multimedia design and/or development preferred
- Prior campaign experience preferred
- International background or experience, with intermediate to superior-level fluency in French, Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, or Arabic preferred
Website Development and IT Intern
Responsibilities and Qualifications:
- Basic knowledge of design tools such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Experience maintaining and working in WordPress.
- Will be trained on CRM, advocacy, marketing and fundraising software and Salesforce.
- Will be trained to write and format HTML emails.
- Basic Knowledge of LAMP stack web hosting.
- The candidate should also have basic Linux knowledge and be able to access our web host and run shell commands.
- The candidate must have knowledge of how to administer a Windows-based network. Experience with Active Directory, Windows Server and Microsoft Exchange and VMware is a must. Network troubleshooting of routers, switches and access points is also necessary.
- Lastly, the successful candidate must be able to troubleshoot smartphones and their integration with the organization’s Exchange server. Basic desktop computer troubleshooting of Windows 7, Microsoft Office and network printers is also required.
- Helping reformat and clean EDN’s constituent data for upload to our new CRM platform
- Maintaining and updating EDN’s databases with contact information and project results
- Conducting research that supports EDN’s programs and campaigns
- Providing administrative support to EDN’s President and Vice Presidents
- Other tasks as assigned
- A strong interest in and knowledge of environmental issues
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Previous experience with CRM (Salsa) a plus
- Previous administrative experience a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite required, experience with basic column/data manipulation preferred
- Multi-tasking, organization and event-planning skills
- Professional demeanor
This internship is unpaid; however, a daily Metro reimbursement of $5.00 is included. College credit can be awarded if your institution supports it.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should email your resume to our organization at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put your last name in the subject line along with the internship position you are applying for: 2018Spring_last name_position
Vice President of Development
Reporting to the President, the Vice President (VP) of Development serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting Earth Day Network. In partnership with the President, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build Earth Day Network’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The VP, Development also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
The VP, Development will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow a $5 million budget annually, ramping up to a $50 million budget for the 50th anniversary of Earth Day in 2020 through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support. She or he will expand and diversify Earth Day Network’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the VP will work closely with the board of directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
It is expected that the amount raised by Earth Day Network will increase in future years as the VP of Development systematically and effectively strengthens the organization’s overall fundraising capacity.
- Support and partner with the President on all major fundraising initiatives
- Collaborate with senior management to develop and implement Earth Day Network’s financial strategy
- Actively work with the President and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate, foundation, government grants, etc.
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position Earth Day Network ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leadership
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
- Identify, develop, and mentor the development team
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred
- 10-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources, preferably in the environmental sector)
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside Earth Day Network
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, including outside of standard business hours as needed
- High energy and passion for Earth Day Network’s mission
- Campaign experience a plus
- Knowledge of a foreign language a plus
Interested and qualified candidates, please forward a cover letter and a resume to: email@example.com with “VP of Development – ‘your full name’ ” in the subject line. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Vice President of Marketing and Communications
Earth Day Network is seeking a highly-experienced Vice President of Marketing & Communications to work out of our Washington, DC office.
The Vice President of Marketing & Communications will be responsible for the development and execution of EDN’s communication strategy for our year-round programs, Earth Day 2018, 2019 and the 50th anniversary in 2020. The VP is responsible for overseeing media relations, brand development, digital strategy, thought leadership, organizational/issue visibility, and marketing strategy.
The Vice President will be a highly-motivated individual with a passion for building a mission-oriented organization’s identity and influence on the public. As we approach the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, the world’s eyes will be on Earth Day Network’s programs – creating an unprecedented and unique opportunity to build a highly creative, thoughtful, and powerful marketing and communications strategy to activate millions of environmentally-minded global citizens.
The VP must be prepared to work in a fast-paced campaign-style environment including outside standard business hours as needed.
- Develop and execute an integrated strategic communications plan to advance EDN’s work domestically and abroad.
- Serves as Chief Public Relations Officer responsible for developing proactive communications and messaging with key audiences including international press and international organizations.
- Build and lead a media relations team and the creation of the media relations strategy.
- Cultivate strategic relationships with key media influencers, reporters, journalists, producers, and editors to build EDN’s position in the global environmental movement and the visibility of key EDN staff.
- Provide external communications counsel including prepping EDN leadership and staff prior to media interviews, speeches, and presentations.
- Lead the development of all written materials both digitally and in print, following EDN brand guidelines.
- Manage a digital media team responsible for creating EDN’s brand and presence on all digital platforms using multi-media tools.
- Oversee EDN’s web presence including content development, and design improvements.
- Bachelor’s degree required, masters preferred
- 10 years of related experience running communications strategies
- At least 5 years of experience in a senior management position
- Experience working on campaigns and coordinating with partner organizations, government officials and other non-profits
- Experience working on environmental issues is a plus
- Experience working on international issues is a plus
- Foreign language proficiency is a plus
- Experience with graphics and multi-media is highly preferred
About Earth Day Network
Earth Day Network (EDN) is a driving force steering environmental awareness around the world. Our mission is to grow and diversify the environmental movement worldwide, and to mobilize it as the most effective vehicle for promoting a healthy, sustainable planet. We pursue our mission through education, politics, events, and consumer activism.
EDN’s network reaches over 1 billion people through our partnerships with over 50,000 organizations and hundreds of thousands of teachers/educators in 192 countries with our Earth Day and year-round environmental protection activities throughout the year.
Earth Day Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested and qualified candidates, please forward a cover letter, including salary requirements, and a resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Vice President of Marketing and Communications- ‘your full name’” in the subject line.
Director of Digital Strategy
Earth Day Network is seeking an experienced Director of Digital Strategy to work out of our Washington, DC office. The Director will report to the VP of Communications & Marketing.
The Director of Digital Strategy will implement Earth Day Network’s digital media marketing including content strategy, developing brand awareness, generating inbound traffic, and cultivating new visitors and members as the organization looks forward to the 50th anniversary of Earth Day in 2020. The Director will be a highly-motivated individual with concrete experience and a proven track record running successful global digital campaigns. The Director will have a passion for building a mission-oriented organization’s identity and influence. The Director of Digital Strategy will produce content to broaden, diversify, educate, and empower supporters to take action, donate, and get more involved in Earth Day Network’s work. Creativity, an understanding and passion for Earth Day Network’s mission, and the ability to give voice to it online in a rapid response basis are required for this role.
Desired candidates are constantly-connected to technology and avid users of social media platforms. This position is full-time salaried with benefits, including attendance at selected social media and industry-specific conferences.
- Analyze and actively use data and metrics to inform editorial and strategic decisions and to create accountability for results
- Assess effectiveness of current digital campaigns and develop comprehensive digital media strategy in line with the organization’s goals to maximize follower engagement and reach
- Develop comprehensive digital media strategy in line with organization mission
- Create relevant and unique content for the organization’s platforms, incorporating both evergreen and rapid-response/news-of-the-day content using multi-media tools
- Build and utilize connections and relationships with social media influencers
- Incorporate digital strategy into the organization’s fundraising plans
- Oversee staff and interns on the communications and social media team
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 5 years of experience in managing social media platforms for a campaign or advocacy organization
- Proven success running a digital campaign
- Fluent in relevant analytics and SEOs
- Expert knowledge of digital media planning, buying, and optimization
- Unique eye for current events and trends
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent reading and writing abilities
- Dedication to environmental issues
- Multimedia capabilities a plus (Photoshop, InDesign, iMovie, etc)
- Existing relationships to social media influencers a plus
- Bilingual fluency a plus
- Experience working on international issues a plus
Interested and qualified candidates, please forward a cover letter, including salary and a resume to: email@example.com with “Director of Digital Strategy- ‘your full name'” in the subject line. Salary is commensurate with experience.
All Earth Day Network Staff are responsible for articulating and contributing to an inspired vision for the organization; taking projects from concept to lift-off to completion; learning and adapting from experience; listening and working as a team to generate and implement new ideas; building relationships to bridge differences and find common grounds with people inside and outside of the organization at all levels of society; communicating effectively, orally and in writing; and demonstrating exemplary levels of personal integrity and leadership.
The position reports to the Senior Vice President, Programs and Operations
- Conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources;
- Performing prospect research on foundations and corporations to evaluate prospects for corporate and foundation grants;
- Working with program staff to gather information necessary for proposals and reports;
- Work with finance to gather information necessary to report to corporate/foundation funders on current grant programs;
- Comply with all grants reporting including preparing interim and final reports as required by individual/foundation/corporate and other donors;
- Provide stewardship to donors, including drafting donor acknowledgements, regular written updates and other correspondence to individual, corporate, foundation and other donors;
- Understand institutional history and programs;
- Make appointments for senior management with foundation officers and other donor prospects;
- Maintain grant tracking and reporting information in the organization’s database and paper files;
- Track statistics relevant to development;
- Coordinate preparation and planning for donor presentations including information packets.
- Responsible for the daily operations of the development office.
- Conduct research for meetings, proposal submissions and other efforts.
- Oversee the development calendar including meetings, as well as reporting and proposal deadlines.
- Write/edit/compile initial drafts of grant proposals and other donor materials and supportive documents and assemble materials for submission.
- Coordinate with communications department in fundraising using social media and crowdsourcing
- Conduct follow-up to obtain pledged donations.
- Prepare and update descriptive information about the organization for the use in written and electronic materials.
- Maintain and manage internal donor files, including tracking donors and prospects, mail merge, labels and list production using paper and electronic filing systems, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two years experience in a development/fundraising environment
- Superior tact, discretion, maturity and judgment in handling highly sensitive information, and personal conduct
- Knowledge of spreadsheets and database programs; Salsa experience is a plus
- Knowledge and experience in fundraising using social media and crowdsourcing
- Must be well organized, highly accurate and detailed oriented
- Strong oral and written communication skills
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the words “Development Associate” in the subject line. No call please.
Or apply by mail to:
Earth Day Network
Attn: Development Associate
1616 P Street, NW, Suite 340
Washington, DC 20036
Earth Day Network provides employees with a competitive benefits package that includes health and dental insurance, vacation and sick leave, and a retirement plan. Earth Day Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position is open until filled.