2018 Spring Internship
Earth Day Network’s mission is to broaden and diversify the worldwide environmental movement and to mobilize it as the most effective vehicle to build a healthy, sustainable environment, address climate change, and protect the Earth for future generations. Earth Day Network is the world’s largest recruiter to the environmental movement, working with more than 50,000 partners in 196 countries to build environmental democracy. We work through a combination of education, public policy, and consumer campaigns to accomplish our goals.
Earth Day Network is looking for qualified candidates with strong interest and knowledge in the current environmental issues to play a vital role in the planning and implementation of Earth Day 2018 and Earth Day 2020. Interns will work closely with EDN’s staff to gain experience by attending meetings and briefings, writing blogs, performing research and grassroots outreach, etc. EDN’s Internship Program goal is for the intern to have an intense and high-quality learning experience in a nonprofit environment which will increase their knowledge and experience in the environmental field, bolster their professional resume, and benefit from being a dedicated member of the EDN team.
We are currently looking for several types of interns to join our team:
- Earth Day Interns
- Communication Interns
- Website Development and IT Intern
- Operation Interns
Earth Day Internship
- Supporting Earth Day Network’s global network of grass-roots organizations, local authorities, educators, and youth.
- Coordinating outreach to members of our network and new constituents.
- Assisting in the research, evaluation, and outreach to prospective partners.
- Monitoring domestic and international environmental efforts.
- Contributing to the coordination, resource development, and planning of events and activities.
- Participating in the planning, execution, and promotion of year-round campaigns.
- Engaging in the day-to-day operations of Earth Day Network, including meetings correspondence, and events.
- Creating blogs and social media posts to be published on our website and social media accounts.
- A strong interest in and knowledge of current environmental issues at the domestic and international level.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Professional demeanor.
- Experience with web and multimedia design and/or development is a plus.
- International background or experience and a second language are a plus.
- Developing content and maintaining Earth Day Network’s social media channels
- Researching information and helping write Op Ed’s, press releases and fact sheets
- Creating pitches to journalists
- Writing blogs, Op Ed’s, and press releases
- Monitoring traditional and social media
- Assisting in the day to day operations of the Communications Department
- A strong interest in and/or knowledge of environmental issues
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Respectful, hardworking, results oriented individual
- Enthusiastic, positive attitude that works well in a team
- Experience with web and multimedia design and/or development preferred
- Prior campaign experience preferred
- International background or experience, with intermediate to superior-level fluency in French, Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, or Arabic preferred
Website Development and IT Intern
Responsibilities and Qualifications:
- Basic knowledge of design tools such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Experience maintaining and working in WordPress.
- Will be trained on CRM, advocacy, marketing and fundraising software and Salesforce.
- Will be trained to write and format HTML emails.
- Basic Knowledge of LAMP stack web hosting.
- The candidate should also have basic Linux knowledge and be able to access our web host and run shell commands.
- The candidate must have knowledge of how to administer a Windows-based network. Experience with Active Directory, Windows Server and Microsoft Exchange and VMware is a must. Network troubleshooting of routers, switches and access points is also necessary.
- Lastly, the successful candidate must be able to troubleshoot smartphones and their integration with the organization’s Exchange server. Basic desktop computer troubleshooting of Windows 7, Microsoft Office and network printers is also required.
- Helping reformat and clean EDN’s constituent data for upload to our new CRM platform
- Maintaining and updating EDN’s databases with contact information and project results
- Conducting research that supports EDN’s programs and campaigns
- Providing administrative support to EDN’s President and Vice Presidents
- Other tasks as assigned
- A strong interest in and knowledge of environmental issues
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Previous experience with CRM (Salsa) a plus
- Previous administrative experience a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite required, experience with basic column/data manipulation preferred
- Multi-tasking, organization and event-planning skills
- Professional demeanor
This internship is unpaid; however, a daily Metro reimbursement of $5.00 is included. College credit can be awarded if your institution supports it.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should email your resume to our organization at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put your last name in the subject line along with the internship position you are applying for: 2018Spring_last name_position
Vice President of Development
Reporting to the President, the Vice President (VP) of Development serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting Earth Day Network. In partnership with the President, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build Earth Day Network’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The VP, Development also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
The VP, Development will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow a $5 million budget annually, ramping up to a $50 million budget for the 50th anniversary of Earth Day in 2020 through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support. She or he will expand and diversify Earth Day Network’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the VP will work closely with the board of directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
It is expected that the amount raised by Earth Day Network will increase in future years as the VP of Development systematically and effectively strengthens the organization’s overall fundraising capacity.
- Support and partner with the President on all major fundraising initiatives
- Collaborate with senior management to develop and implement Earth Day Network’s financial strategy
- Actively work with the President and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate, foundation, government grants, etc.
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position Earth Day Network ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leadership
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
- Identify, develop, and mentor the development team
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred
- 10-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources, preferably in the environmental sector)
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside Earth Day Network
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, including outside of standard business hours as needed
- High energy and passion for Earth Day Network’s mission
- Campaign experience a plus
- Knowledge of a foreign language a plus
Interested and qualified candidates, please forward a cover letter and a resume to: email@example.com with “VP of Development – ‘your full name’ ” in the subject line. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Director of Education
Earth Day Network (EDN) is a driving force steering environmental awareness around the world. EDN’s network reaches over 22,000 organizations in 192 countries, while the domestic program engages 5,000 groups and over 30,000 educators coordinating millions of community development and environmental protection activities throughout the year. Our mission is to grow and diversify the environmental movement worldwide, and to mobilize it as the most effective vehicle for promoting a healthy, sustainable planet. We pursue our mission through education, politics, events, and consumer activism.
Earth Day Network seeks a dynamic and energetic individual to handle a range of environmental education and green school campaigns as Education Director. As Education Director, responsibilities include:
- Maintaining EDN’s flagship programs, including National Civic Education Project (NCEP), a program engages urban students in civic-minded lessons in environmentally degraded areas, Climate Education Week, National School Lunch Week, Earth Day, school facility greenings, and more.
- Coordinating with Earth Day Network staff on the five year plan for the 50thanniversary of Earth Day.
- Creating and providing access to quality educational resources and materials for teachers to promote environmental and climate education in and out of the classroom.
- Building a sustained education, advocacy and media campaign on green schools, the national school lunch program, climate education, and student advocacy initiatives.
- Establishing and maintaining partnerships with local and national organizations, schools, teachers, students and other educational and environmental partners.
- Maintaining a digital and online presence, including creation of online and web-based education materials, creating and updating webpage content, building digital media and communicating and expanding EDN’s Educators’ Network.
- Collaborate with Education Department and other staff to manage incoming requests for book/article contributions, curriculum creation, media relations, etc. as needed.
- Supporting departmental and organizational commitments with various projects as assigned, such as Earth Day.
- Working to create and pass national, state, and local public policies to provide funding mechanisms for green schools and ensuring comprehensive climate and environmental education.
- Recruiting, hiring, administrating, and managing Education Staff and Interns.
- Assisting the Development Department in the execution of fundraising opportunities, including research and writing, specific to education-related programming.
- Representing Earth Day Network and the Education Department at events, conferences, panels, etc.
The Education Director will be heavily involved in several or all of these initiatives and will likely include travel to events or projects throughout the year, especially on or around Earth Day.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s strongly preferred.
- A strong interest in and knowledge of current environmental issues is required.
- A strong interest in and knowledge of K-12 education (environmental, civics, STEM, and/or education itself, in addition to lesson planning experience) is required; teaching certification and classroom experience is preferred.
- A strong interest in and knowledge of non-formal and experiential education is preferred.
- Project management experience is required; event planning experience is preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to perform multiple tasks in adherence to strict deadlines are required.
- Excellent research and communication skills (verbal and written) is required.
- Technological experience with strong computer skills in education technology, digital media, and web development
- Experience as a team player and leader, with outstanding interpersonal skills is required.
- Willingness to travel within the U.S.
Interested and qualified candidates, please forward a cover letter, including salary requirements, and a resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Education Director – ‘your full name'” in the subject line.
Director of Digital Strategy
Earth Day Network is seeking an experienced Director of Digital Strategy to work out of our Washington, DC office. The Director will report to the VP of Communications & Marketing.
The Director of Digital Strategy will implement Earth Day Network’s digital media marketing including content strategy, developing brand awareness, generating inbound traffic, and cultivating new visitors and members as the organization looks forward to the 50th anniversary of Earth Day in 2020. The Director will be a highly-motivated individual with concrete experience and a proven track record running successful global digital campaigns. The Director will have a passion for building a mission-oriented organization’s identity and influence. The Director of Digital Strategy will produce content to broaden, diversify, educate, and empower supporters to take action, donate, and get more involved in Earth Day Network’s work. Creativity, an understanding and passion for Earth Day Network’s mission, and the ability to give voice to it online in a rapid response basis are required for this role.
Desired candidates are constantly-connected to technology and avid users of social media platforms. This position is full-time salaried with benefits, including attendance at selected social media and industry-specific conferences.
- Analyze and actively use data and metrics to inform editorial and strategic decisions and to create accountability for results
- Assess effectiveness of current digital campaigns and develop comprehensive digital media strategy in line with the organization’s goals to maximize follower engagement and reach
- Develop comprehensive digital media strategy in line with organization mission
- Create relevant and unique content for the organization’s platforms, incorporating both evergreen and rapid-response/news-of-the-day content using multi-media tools
- Build and utilize connections and relationships with social media influencers
- Incorporate digital strategy into the organization’s fundraising plans
- Oversee staff and interns on the communications and social media team
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 5 years of experience in managing social media platforms for a campaign or advocacy organization
- Proven success running a digital campaign
- Fluent in relevant analytics and SEOs
- Expert knowledge of digital media planning, buying, and optimization
- Unique eye for current events and trends
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent reading and writing abilities
- Dedication to environmental issues
- Multimedia capabilities a plus (Photoshop, InDesign, iMovie, etc)
- Existing relationships to social media influencers a plus
- Bilingual fluency a plus
- Experience working on international issues a plus
Interested and qualified candidates, please forward a cover letter, including salary and a resume to: email@example.com with “Director of Digital Strategy- ‘your full name'” in the subject line. Salary is commensurate with experience.