Global Earth Day Director Job Description:
EARTHDAY.ORG is seeking a Global Earth Day Director who can help us build a broad, coordinated active 21st century environmental movement worldwide using Earth Day as the vehicle. We are seeking an experienced self-starter, a highly motivated person who cares deeply about environmental issues and who has experience in global movement building. We are seeking a person who cares about broadening the environmental movement and who can build diverse and deep partnerships with organizations across all segments of society. The Director will lead the global effort to build broad civic engagement. Working with senior management and a team of staff and volunteers, the Director will play a key role in developing the overall strategy for this campaign and will lead the effort to build momentum each year for Earth Day and turn out millions of people in cities and towns around the world.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Help carry out EDO’s mission to build environmental democracy and to broaden, diversify and mobilize the environmental movement.
- Help shape the vision and contribute inputs for the strategic development of the programs, campaigns and field operations of EDO by initiating new ideas on how to maximize the project effectiveness globally.
- Manage and execute outreach to an extensive existing network of international and domestic non-profit leaders, public officials, and organizations including EDO volunteer network.
- Research, identify, and recruit new international partners and coalitions to support EDO’s initiatives.
- Create, expand, and maintain a global database of partnerships.
- Lead campaign in the US and manage all EDO Earth Day Coordinators, Earth Day program staff and interns.
- Coordinate global campaign initiatives with India Country Director.
- Work with communications staff to develop country and local media strategies, including new media, free and earned media events, media contacts, editorial mailings, and op-ed placement.
- Coordinate with program and communications staff to write blogs, social media posts and reports on programs for media outlets.
- Coordinate with and connect the program staff and regional staff to promote, set regional performance goals and ensure success of The Great Global Clean Up, Citizen Science and other Earth Day Network campaigns in the region.
- Consult and create materials that are culturally relevant for international and domestic audiences.
- Assist Regional staff to build partnerships with organizations across all segments of society.
- Securing funding for Earth Day campaigns and initiatives in partnership with the Development team, including research and writing of concept notes and proposals.
- Draft and disseminate regular program reports for board and senior management.
- Represent the organization at high level meetings with stakeholders and in the media and identify and contribute to opportunities to position EDO as a thought leader in building the environmental movement in the region.
- Long hours possible.
- Travel required.
- College degree preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of the environmental field, grassroots organizing, international field work, and building organizational capacity.
- At least five years of field organizing at the international level. Significant supervisory and training experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong interpersonal, supervisory strategic planning and training skills; excellent media skills; good computer skills; familiarity with database programs helpful. Foreign language proficiency a plus.
- Ability to work well with a wide range of people, work well under pressure, and adapt to changing situations.
To apply, please send a letter of interest, writing sample, and resume to [email protected]