Sign the petition:
Join the Twitter storm (6/18/12): #EndFossilFuelSubsidies
Support Earth Day Network
Your donations help power the movement.
Rio+20 is less than a week away, and Earth Day Network already has a team of advocates on the ground in Rio de Janeiro to make sure that your voices are heard.
We’re showcasing the successes of A Billion Acts of Green® and our campaigns for Earth Day 2012 and using them to call on world leaders to commit to:
- A binding plan to transition to renewable energy that includes phasing out fossil fuel subsidies in the near-term;
- Zero deforestation by 2020 and a binding plan to end policies and subsidies that encourage the purchase of wood obtained illegally;
- A plan to engage women and young people in defining and designing the green economy;
- A plan to make cities more sustainable through green building standards, recycling requirements, and other initiatives that help reduce cities’ carbon footprint; and
- Incorporate sustainability education in all primary schools and provide the necessary funding and support for education centers to green their facilities.
And on Saturday, June 16, we’ll hold the latest event in our Women and the Green Economy (WAGE®) global consultative process: a forum in Rio that will bring together scores of influential women in business, government, and NGOs to refine policy proposals to increase women’s participation in the green economy.
There are still opportunities for YOU to take action too.
The petition to end fossil fuel subsidies now has well over a million signatures, but we need more. Add yours. Tell your friends.
While the results of the petition will be delivered offline, you can also make some noise online. On Monday, June 18, join the global Twitter storm to #EndFossilFuelSubsidies. Simply tweet using the hashtag #EndFossilFuelSubsidies anytime on Monday to help us drive home this message to world leaders gathered at Rio+20.
Make sure to stay tuned to www.earthday.org/rio for daily blog and Twitter updates from our team in Rio.
- The Earth Day Network Team