MillionTreesNYC, one of the 127 PlaNYC initiatives, is a citywide, public‐private program with the goal to plant and care for one million new trees across the City's five boroughs over the next decade. By planting one million trees, New York City can increase its urban forest—made up of street trees, park
trees, and trees on public, private and commercial land—by 20 percent, while achieving the many quality‐of‐life benefits that come with planting trees. The City of New York will plant 60 percent of trees in parks and other public spaces. The other 40 percent will come from private organizations, homeowners, and community organizations.
MillionTreesNYC’s Tree Giveaway Campaign gives trees to low‐and‐middle income home owners and renters in New York City to add green space to their living areas and benefit the environment of their communities.